By N. Mottahedeh
This edited quantity of especially commissioned essays written for the anniversary of `Abdu'l-Baha's trip to the US tells the tale of this former prisoner's interactions with the white top echelon of yank society in addition to his influence at the lives and writings of vital early figures within the African-American civil rights circulate.
Read or Download ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s Journey West: The Course of Human Solidarity PDF
Best other religions books
Definitely this can be the most vital books on divine motion of modern years. with the exception of a few theologians inside of extra evangelical circles, the quantity of reviews explicitly addressing theological, philosophical, and clinical problems with divine motion is small. in addition, many vintage reviews at the topic (such as Keith Ward's "Divine Action," Michael Langford's "Providence," and Vernon White's "The Fall of a Sparrow") were out of print for years now and are very challenging to come back via.
Graeco-Roman faith in its vintage shape used to be polytheistic; however, monotheistic principles loved large foreign money in historic philosophy. This contradiction offers a problem for our knowing of historic pagan faith. yes kinds of cult job, together with acclamations of 'one god' and the worship of theos hypsistos, the top god, have occasionally been interpreted as proof for pagan monotheism.
The Self Possessed is a multifaceted, diachronic examine reconsidering the very nature of faith in South Asia, the end result of years of in depth study. Frederick M. Smith proposes that optimistic oracular or ecstatic ownership is the most typical type of non secular expression in India, and that it's been linguistically distinctive from unfavourable, disease-producing ownership for hundreds of thousands of years.
This quantity is the 1st accomplished exam of 1 of the 20th century's so much designated iconoclasts. Aleister Crowley (1875-1947) used to be a research in contradictions. Born right into a fundamentalist Christian family members and proficient at Cambridge, he was once vilified as a traitor, drug addict, and debaucher, but respected as probably the main influential philosopher in modern esotericism.
- Gender Hierarchy in the Qur'ān: Medieval Interpretations, Modern Responses
- Trithemius and Magical Theology: A Chapter in the Controversy over Occult Studies in Early Modern Europe
- Lords of chaos: the bloody rise of the Satanic metal underground
- Discovering The Mysteries Of Ancient America Lost History And Legends, Unearthed And Explored
- Marks of His Wounds: Gender Politics and Bodily Resurrection
Additional info for ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s Journey West: The Course of Human Solidarity
136. Balyuzi, `Abdu’l-Bahá, 433. 137. Afroukhteh, Memories, 344. 138. Ibid. 139. Ugo R. Giachery, “Laura Clifford Dreyfus-Barney,” in La Pensée Bahá’íe, 56 (June 1976) (Berne:The National Assembly of the Bahá’ís of Switzerland), 24. 140. Khademi, “A Glimpse into the Life of Laura Dreyfus-Barney,” 95–96. 38 MONA KHADEMI 141. “A tribute to Laura Dreyfus-Barney,” The American Bahá’í (Wilmette, IL: National Assembly of the Bahá’í s of the United States, January 1989), 5; and “Laura Clifford Dreyfus-Barney,” in Memoriam, The Bahá’í World, vol.
4). In reference to `Abdu’l-Bahá’s stay at their home in Paris, Ezra Pound, the American expatriate poet, who had met `Abdu’l-Bahá in London and who knew the Dreyfus-Barneys, wrote a letter to a friend (dated October 6, 1911). 89 `Abdu’l-Bahá embarked on the boat to Egypt in Marseilles on December 7, 1911. `Abdu’l-Bahá attended a number of public and private gatherings in Paris and addressed different groups of people. 90 His words and exhortations were recorded by several people. 93 It is dated January 12, 1912, three months before `Abdu’l-Bahá’s journey to North America.
Abdu’l-Bahá then called on the Jews to recognize the 44 RO B E RT H . S T O C K M A N prophetic inspiration of Jesus and Muhammad.